Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tonight on NAMAPAHH- Tribute to Horses-in Memory of Syndaka

Tonight on NAMAPAHH- Tribute to Horses-in Memory of Syndaka

NAMAPAHH First People's Radio
Host/Producer Robin Carneen
Thurs 7-8:30pm

Sun 4-5pm PST

Ways to hear our show online:

www.ksvr.org
Or shorter segments via MYSPACE!
http://www.myspace.com/namapahh
Main myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/nativeradio4all
email: robin.carneen@gmail.com



Got a new release? Want to become a member??? Here's the Radio station addy:

c/o Robin Carneen-
NAMAPAHH First People's Radio
Skagit Valley College-KSVR 91.7 FM
2405 East College Way
Mount Vernon, WA 98273

ITS JOURNEY TIME!
http://tribaljourneys.wordpress.com/tribal-journeys-of-the-nw/

Thank you to so many of you that wrote back when I first sent this poem around a few days ago...it touched my heart very deeply...this was a hard spot in the road of life...my oldest son is heading to California for the weekend & we are sending some things to leave on Syndaka's grave...and we will stop by at the end of August when we make our trek there for my 30 year HS reunion!

We will welcome you to call in too, if you wish: (360) 416-7000

Daka and Donna

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/Swinomish1/?action=view&current=DonnaandSyndaka2008.jpg

Please tune in 5-22-08 for Mom & my tribute to Syndaka and other horses- a Tribute to their incredible Spirits...we will share songs by various artists (unreleased ones even! sent special just for this show!) And poetry & stories from Wisdom of the Elders re:Horses!

Thurs 7-8:30 pmwww.ksvr.org+FolkLifeFest/Urban NDNS

Syndaka in the Sky~

5-19-08

by Robin Carneen


A thousand dandelions
Flood the backyard beneath the cherry tree
Which has blossumed and now leafed out
To shade us on hot
Swinomish summer days

A cool wind teases the flower tops
Seeds break loose letting go a million chances
To wish for so much that I still long for
Do wishes made on dandelions seeds ever come true?

I used to think so....and I have not given up yet!

Yesterday, was a inevitable day in my world
My horse took his last earthly breath
I could not be with him,
He lived 2 states away
My friend Donna helped him to
Go on ahead of us...
I am forever grateful to her
And know her heartbreak
She must be only feeling now

I passed the reins five years ago
So I could move home
To Washington State
My grandma Marge's homelands

I was physically lighter
Leaving him & friends & family behind
But so many sacrifices I made
To come home
He was one of them
He would be happy to know
That my Mom and the boys are
All with me now
And that life is getting better

I am glad Mom is here
I did not have to hear this news alone:

Mom was sitting by my side
When I read the email from Donna
Daka had colicked badly
He would be gone by 3pm
I know he is in a better place
I just wished I could have been there
To inhale the musk of him one last time
To thank him for the tail-hair for my tiny baskets
For the rides on Manchester Beach
For the quiet cries I had in his mane
When I was going through my divorce
Or felt frustrated by life in general

Mom and I reminisced about Syndaka
How he was so unusually affectionate
And funny & determined
Opening the kitchen back door often
Sliding one hoof across the linoleum
As if he was coming in to raid the fridge
Or remind us it was time for HIS breakfast

"He was one of those horses..."
I told Donna through tears & fond memories
On the phone last night

"That made you love horses."

I told my sister-friend-
Third caregiver for "Doc"
(As she sur-named him)
That when we lived on School St
The kids would stop by to pet him at our fence
And feed him treats (lord knows what they gave him)
Donna told me last night
His favorite food was bananas
I had no idea...
*Laugh* How many school lunches
In Pt Arena showed up banana-less?

This morning after I dropped off my youngest
Now a freshman in high school
I let the tears start to come
I saw Syndaka laying beneath a redwood tree
In a grassy field
Lifting his head one last time
Looking for me with those beautiful brown eyes
I wish I could have shared one more living, love filled
Breath with him...
I have missed him so long,
I grew numb, something I learned to do
A long time ago
And as that saying goes
If you love something
Set it free
You know it is love
When the pain is so deep
You have ghost pangs
Throughout your life
Missing him/them

I hope there were dandelions all around him
And that when the wishes are made
From seeds that glanced off his now still body
That those wishes that will be made
Bring the same joy,love & hope
That he brought into so many lives

And when I come through California next
I will bring him sage, tobacco...
And bananas....
I will also bring my Dad's ashes too
Time to also let him go

We love you Syndaka & you will now be with Dad
Raiding his cooler for creme sodas
And make sure you remind him
He is a weaver- of baskets & laughter
Please gift him some of your spirit hair
Sit together under a heavenly tree
And keep a look out for us all down here
Mother Earth is hurting
And we have to learn to be strong
Without your presence here

Today I wish you a dandelion wish
May it come true for generations to come...

Peace in your eternal sleep~

Syndaka's first Mom....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....

Sentiments from Friends:

I'm sorry about the loss of your dear horse/friend. I found this while I was wondering and trying to come up with something helpful.

Virtual hugs for CA
Dave


NATASHA BEDINGFIELD LYRICS

"Wild Horses"

Hmmm woah yea...

I feel these 4 walls closing in
My face up against the glass
I'm looking out... hmm
Is this my life I'm wondering
It happened so fast
How do I turn this thing around
Is this the bed I chose to make
Its greener pastures I'm thinking about hmm
Wide open spaces far away

All I want is the wind in my hair
To face the fear but, not feel scared

[Chorus:]
Wild horses I wanna be like you
Throwing caution to the wind
I'll run free too
Wish I could recklessly love, like I'm longing to
Run with the wild horses, run with the wild horses!
Oh yeah yea

I see the girl I wanna be
Riding bare back, care free along the shore
If only that someone was me
Jumping head first headlong without a thought
To act and damn the consequence
How I wish it could be that easy
But fear surrounds me like a fence
I wanna break free

All I want is the wind in my hair
To face the fear but, not feel scared
Hoohhh woah woah

[Chorus:]
Wild horses I wanna be like you
Throwing caution to the wind
I'll run free too
Wish I could recklessly love, like I'm longing to
I wanna run with the wild horses, run with the wild horses!
Oh yeah yea

I wanna run too.
Hohhh woah oh woah oh

Breaklessly abandoning my self before you

I wanna open up my heart tell him how I feel

[Chorus:]
Wild horses I wanna be like you
Throwing caution to the wind
I'll run free too
Wish I could recklessly love, like I'm longing to
I wanna run with the wild horses, run with the wild horses! [X2]
Hooaah woah oh woah
Yeah

I wanna run with the wild horses

(Here is an amazing video I found that goes with this: Natasha Bedingfield - Wild Horses:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWIVi_Oa4as)

I Am - Horses
You Tube Video

Sent to me by my brother Dave W...Casa Grande Class of 78 Rules!
Can't wait to see you, thanks for the video & the lyrics of the song above this
video post:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVWYMl2yg1E

What a nice remeberance of Syndaka, I'm sure your love and words have made his passing with love. Your words and beautiful images and memories are very heart felt. In a way our words are like broadcast signals in that they not only go from mouth to ear/mind but also through time and space. Your heart is good and your words are strong and gentle and will resonate in the universe and in the soul of Syndaka. I share my tear and my smile from my heart for you and Syndaka, Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Dennis

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Remember that you can always find Syndaka in your heart! If you still yourself from within, you'll feel and hear him there. His beautiful horsey form that held his spirit has gone back to Mother Earth, but his true being, his spirit has no end. We always think in opposites -
beginnings and endings, up and down, life and death - but in actually - it's birth and death. Life has no opposite. Life is eternal. He's not really gone. He's just gone back to his true being. I know it's hard to let go because we all get attached animals and people in their earthly forms because from within those forms, their spirits shine through, you know? Remember to give yourself time...

I remember Daka in Point Arena chasing me and Erin into your house! And then he would step into your house as much as he could. And we'd dodge him as we left. : ) He would always chase us. I'm wearing the horse hair basket necklace that you gave to me. It's so beautiful. I cherish it. I hope that you like the picture I made for you.

Gette


Photobucket

Hey Robin,

Your poem brought such tears to my eyes this evening - how beautiful and sweet but very sad too. There is such a connection with these extraordinary horse creatures - Sometimes I think they can hear our most inner thoughts.

I was lucky to have worked around the wild mustangs at the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary here. Their patience and wisdom has taught me so much.

Please contact Michelle - I know she would be open to the radio show idea. What a wonderful tribute to a good friend indeed.

Big hugs to you and yours tonight sis....
Karla

PS: I took this photo recently of my friend, Painted Desert - he's one of the stallions from the Wild Horse Sanctuary - a very kind soul.

Karla R. LaRive
"Showcasing the Original West"
Studio West Management
P.O. Box 752
Hot Springs, So Dakota 57747
605-890-3819
www.myspace.com/studiowestmanagement
www.myspace.com/pk_productions

Photobucket

"Karla R. LaRive" wrote:

SAVING THE AMERICAN WILD HORSE (Repost)
www.theamericanwildhorse.com

The Wild West is more brutal and currupt than ever, and America's wild horses are caught in the middle.

We are looking for sponsorship to finish this project -- if you know of anyone who can help financially so we can continue to spread the word about this travesty and immediate need for a "call to action." local Please have them contact James Klienert, or myself Michelle at michelleshiningelk@gmail.com.

SAVING THE AMERICAN WILD HORSE
Featuring VIGGO MORTENSON, SHERYL CROW and PETE COYOTE
A Moving Cloud Production

Also see:

SHERYL CROW VIDEO "I DON'T WANT TO KNOW"
Featuring footage from SAVING THE AMERICAN WILD HORSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn7iOnyD_eY

The video for Sheryl's song "I Dont' Wanna Know" from the documentary "Saving the American Wild Horse" at www.theamericanwildhorse.com, a poignant documentary hosted by Viggo Mortensen, Sheryl Crow, Peter Coyote, and directed by Emmy Award-winning Documentary Filmmaker, James Kleinert, examines the politics behind the Bureau of Land Management's (BLM) controversial policies regarding wild horses on public lands and questions the fate of America's Wild Horses and Burros, whose very existence is in jeopardy.

Thank you for your time,
Michelle Shining Elk
Email: michelleshiningelk@gmail.com

WWW.THEAMERICANWILDHORSE.COM
“SAVING THE AMERICAN WILD HORSE"

Writer: Michael Shipley
Editor & Co-Producer: Ted Roach
Director, Cinematographer & Producer: James Kleinert
Consultant: Karen Criswell | Koncept FilmsI
Illustration & Design: Odessa Sawyer
Publicity, Promotion, Sponsorship & Consulting: Michelle Shining Elk | Shining Elk Entertainment Group

ALSO BY MOVING CLOUD PRODUCTIONS: “SPIRIT RIDERS“ HORSE MEDICINE

M I C H E L L E R. S H I N I N G E L K
T H E S H I N I N G E L K E N T E R T A I N M E N T G R O U P
Office: 818.302.6122 | Cell: 818.813.3701 | Fax: 818.450.0569
Email: michelleshiningelk@gmail.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RED ROAD COMMUNITY CALENDAR/>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.nwfolklife.org/

Photobucket


NORTHWEST FOLKLIFE FESTIVAL 2008
Seattle Center • May 23-26, 2008 • Rain or shine!

2008 Cultural Focus: Urban Indians

Good day,

I just wanted to let you know that I will be
participating in Seattle's NW FolkLife Festival this
year. FolkLife purchased a design of mine for their
Alternative T-shirt. It is the design on the attached
Flyer.

Come on out and enjoy the festivities.

My artwork will be displayed at the Welcome Ceremony
at the Bagley Wright Theatre on friday from 7-9pm. See
attached flyer.

I will also be doing some live painting all weeked
during the festival at the Fisher Terrace. See link
below.

http://www.nwfolklife.org/P_F/ui_demo_artists.html

Thanks for your time and support. Hope to see you
there.

Andrew Morrison

http://onestaa.com

Photobucket

No comments: