Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King Jr. and other African Men Honored

Photobucket

Martin Luther King Jr. and other African-American Men Honored

During the first part of this tribute we will take an audio tour of Trinity House, a rehabilitation facility for African American Males in downtown Atlanta, GA. This facility also houses a historical chapel, where Martin Luther King, Jr’s body was brought, before the procession started. I could feel the Spirit of this amazing man. He would be so pleased if he knew that the chapel is now part of a healing & rehab center, that honors him to this day. I was lead throughout that facility by a young man named Brian. I was able to be introduced to many of the men & counselors in Trinity House. The décor offered a presence of Mother Africa. I was so impressed that the African culture was woven into the program & part of the ambience of rehabilitation.

During the second half of NAMAPAHH we will share an excerpt of Martin Luther King Jr’s “I have a dream” speech. We will also share interviews with two other African American brothers that have done incredible human rights work & activism on behalf of African Americans & even Native Americans as in the case of Jay Winter Nightwolf, the originator & radio talk show host of “Nightwolf” : “The American Indian’s Truth…..the Most Dangerous Show On Radio…..” broadcasting on WPFW 89.3 FM – Pacifica Radio www.WPFW.org
Damu Smith

Damu Smith was another host of a WPFW radio program, who I met at a NNG grantmakers conference in Blaine, Wa back in 2005. We lost Damu to his battle with cancer & I feel very honored that he was able to give me an exclusive interview after his presentation about Hurricane Katrina he gave at the conference. He was a very special man & though I only spent a half hour with him, I wanted to know him for the rest of my life. We will rebroadcast this interview as well, to honor him & remember him & remind us all how much work we have to do to carry forward work he & others, like Martin Luther King Jr., started on all our behalf.

No comments: